I’ve had a bit of time to spend on the first two class 08s for West Halton over the last couple of days. Both are getting to the stage where it’s details which are required. The Hornby model less so, but there’s plenty to add to the Bachmann model. Most of this will be pipework beneath the cab and valances.
Both models are lacking the electrical conduit on the side of the ‘bonnet’ whose function I’m not entirely sure about. Answers in the comments please! I’m simply modelling what I see. And it’s surprising how much of a difference fitting this combination of 0,33mm handrail wire, Plastikard, plastic rod and a short bit of fine fuse wire actually makes.
The locos display an almost limitless number of livery variations – even what at first glance appears to be the same livery. Looking at those locos in plain grey display variations. Almost as if those painting them simply applied the black to the cab windows as they felt on the day! 08405 had quite a small area of ‘black’ only around the side windows and by the cab doors. I say ‘black’ as I didn’t use black. It’s actually a mix of Humbrol Tank Grey no. 67 and Matt Black no. 33 to take the edge of the colour and blend in with the rest of the slightly faded appearance the loco displayed.
Rather than mask and spray the colour I applied it with a bow pen compass, where I can easily follow the edges. The technique is more usually associated with lining steam locomotives, indeed this is where I have used the technique normally, but it does have its uses for diesel locomotives.
So, we’re getting there with these. Slowly but surely.